Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Why I Write

Today's post has been prompted by an online writing group that I'm a member of, The Write Post. They have Thursday blog hops every week and this is the first time I have taken part. The reason why I'm doing it now is because I have made myself a vow to stop procrastinating and spending hours and hours every week on social media and reading blogs and other articles. I am going to limit myself to half an hour in the morning and another half an hour in the evening. 

The rest of the time I am going to write for customers, write for me, read, bake and walk. I really am going to do this - although regular readers of this blog will be forgiven for thinking they may have heard me make such declarations before! 

So to the blog itself and the reason why I write. It's because I read and always have done.
Reading has been a huge part of my life - the many novels I have read have taught me so much about humanity, history, psychology, sociology, and me. To write my own stories and touch other people's lives in the way so many writers touched mine was always what I wanted to do. Although I didn't tell anyone and just wrote occasionally in secret for many years. 

Once I started writing fiction in earnest and ventured out into the creative writing world through classes and workshops, I discovered I just couldn't stop. Those voices, sentences and paragraphs that had been roaming around in my head for so long were finally getting put to paper and it felt good. Really good. Reading my work aloud in a writing workshop for the first time was one of the scariest things I have ever done though. I couldn't eat all day before the class and hid behind the pieces of paper while my voice quavered as I shared my words for the first time. 

But now, several years down the line I'm no longer scared of reading my work - I can't wait to see how people react to it. So that I can continue to learn from the feedback I get and also because, until I get published, this is the only way I have of touching people's lives with my writing. On that note, I'm thrilled to be able to say that one of my short stories has been accepted for publication in an anthology! My very first publication of my fiction outside this blog. When I heard I had been accepted it felt truly amazing and that is why I write. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Amanda, that's excellent news! :) I know exactly how you feel about reading out your work to a group, I look forward to the feedback now too! I'm sure it'll all be onwards and upwards for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! It is amazing how your confidence grows isn't it. Although there are still plenty of times when I feel like I should give up as my writing is a pile of crap! I do hope this is the start of things to come for the both of us, with your story appearing on Pure Slush soon :-)

      Delete
  2. Great post - most of us have no idea why we write. It just seems to be the thing that makes us feel most alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. That's a great way of putting it - there really is nothing like it when the writing is going well is there?

      Delete
  3. Lovely post Amanda. I have never read out my work and I'll do what I can to avoid doing it, can't imagine anything worse! But it's interesting that these days you enjoy it. Did it gradually get easier or was it OK after the first time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. Well with publication of your debut novel coming up you better get practicing as I bet you'll be asked to do some readings! It gradually got better for me but I was a nervous wreck for a good long while. Not sure how I would cope with reading like Isabel Costello did recently at the Rattle Tales event - completely different to just reading at a workshop!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! That is awesome news!!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy - I'm still over excited when I think about it over a week after finding out :-)

      Delete
  5. Stumbled upon your blog through write tribe! this is quite an honest write up on the prompt and well we all need to stop procrastinating and write more thanks for the push for me as well. Looking forward to see your work in print :) all the best :)

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind comment, Richa :-)

    Every writer I know is a procrastinator - it must be in the same gene that makes us writers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Congratulations :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Amanda. And thanks for the kick up the proverbial. Sat down to write an hour and a half ago and read your blog after I had checked twitter, caught up on some Youtube videos, checked emails, Goodreads, shopped for my holidays, etc, etc. Going now. To write. Honest.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Stephen. You're most welcome - stop by any time for a telling off for procrastinating. Although if I'm going to be totally honest I spent about 45 minutes online earlier reading blogs. It was while I ate my lunch though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful reasons to write and read. It's life:)
    Vishal
    (www.vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete