Sunday, 30 June 2013

My first short story publication

Things have been going quite well with the writing recently and I've been feeling pretty chuffed. First an extract from my novel was included in an anthology, Collages, which went to print this week and will be available in paperback from September. Then I got a short story accepted for the Stories for Homes anthology, which will be available as an e-book in July, with a paperback and audio book to follow. And then today, my flash fiction, Playing Nurses, was published in the online literary journal, Number Eleven Magazine. I'm starting to feel  like I might be getting somewhere with this dream.

The success I've had with the short stories also makes me feel a bit better about the fact that I've abandoned the novel for the past month or so. Well, I say abandoned as I haven't done any of the editing but I have made a big decision about it. So big that I've been frightened to admit it. But, I've finally accepted that it's what needs to be done. So I'm doing it...I'm writing in a dual narrative from another character's POV to tell her story. As it's actually a very important part of the main character's story too and there was just no way it could be told as it currently is - in memories and through third-party reporting. So, my self-imposed deadline of being submission-ready by August has had to fall by the wayside but you have to do what you have to do to make the book right. 

So, now I'm off to write my first piece of Laura's story in her voice. Wish me luck! 

4 comments:

  1. Good luck. I look forward to seeing the new chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jackie. Hoping to get something posted soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much, Kalpana :-)

    ReplyDelete