Wednesday, 17 April 2013

O was for Oscar but now it's orangutans

I'm flagging a bit. And as much as I love books I'm feeling a little jaded with all these character posts. So even though I really enjoyed Peter Carey's prize-winning novel, Oscar and Lucinda, I just can't bring myself to write about Oscar today. Sorry Oscar.

All I'll say is it's a great book, Oscar is a great character and you should definitely read it!

Instead I am dedicating today's post to orangutans. Because I like them, they are under threat and we share 96.4% of our DNA with them.


So here are some orangutan facts (courtesy of Sumatran Orangutan Society) and pictures for you...

Fact 1: There are two species of orangutan - the Bornean orangutan and the Sumatran orangutan.

Fact 2: In the wild, orangutans can live up to the age of 45 or more. The oldest captive orangutan was a male called "Guas" at the Philadelphia Zoo who lived until he was 58 years old.

Fact 3: The word orangutan comes from the Malay language and means 'person of the forest' - from the words ‘orang' meaning people and ‘hutan' meaning forest.

Fact 4: Orangutans have one baby at a time. The young orangutans stay with their mother and learn from her until they are 7 or 8 years old - this is longer than any other mammal except humans.

Fact 5: Orangutans are Great Apes - so are humans.

Fact 6: Just 100 years ago there were thought to be 315,000 orangutans in the wild. There are now less than 6,600 left in Sumatra, and less than 54,000 in Borneo. It is thought that Sumatran orangutans may be the first Great Apes to become extinct unless people help to protect them.


Find out how you can help the orangutans here
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. They are so entertaining to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned much and more today. I think they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post, is it bad to say monkey's scare me?

    Nice to meet you via the A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know any of those things about orangutans. Interesting. Simply Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Orangutans very much. They are so ugly they're beautiful, but more than anything, they are so intelligent. Thank you.

    http://marypurpari.blogspot.com/2013/04/o-is-for-obtuse.html

    ReplyDelete