Monday, 15 April 2013

M is for Me

I'm having a little break from characters today and dedicating my blog to me - shameless, I know! A little while ago one of my readers nominated me for a Liebster blog award so I thought I'd use today's post to thank her, and respond to the actions that come with it. So thanks very much to Sharon Himsl whose blog, Shells, Tales and Sails, is well worth checking out too.



Sharon's questions for me:


  1. What is your favorite form of recreation? It has to be writing, closely followed by reading. But when it's not all about words I like to go out walking in beautiful places and I also like to bake.
  2. What kinds of books do you read? I read all sorts. Women's fiction, thrillers, crime, literary fiction, chick-lit, short stories - it all depends what kind of mood I'm in. Sometimes I go through phases where I read loads of books in a row all set in one time - the Vietnam War and WW2, have both been periods I was obsessed with for a bit! 
  3. Why did you start blogging? Mainly because I love to write and I'm always looking for a distraction from actually getting on and writing my novel! But also to connect with other readers and writers and talk endlessly about books.
  4. Do you read books on an e-reader or prefer printed books? Although I prefer printed books I do have a Kindle as I just don't have enough space to keep all the books I get through and I hate having to get rid of them.
  5. Name two actors or authors you admire. Actors - I'm a big fan of Lesley Manville and Timothy Spall, both of whom appear regularly in Mike Leigh's films and plays. Authors - I could go on for a long time but will limit myself to saying Margaret Atwood and David Mitchell.
  6. What makes you laugh? My husband, my cat, animals in general, Stewart Lee and currently the TV programme, The Mimic, has been making me chuckle a lot.
  7. Which do you prefer and why: dogs or cats? I can't choose - I love them both!
  8. When or where do you feel most creative? Much as it surprises me I am now definitely a morning person and getting away from everyday life to writing retreats and immersing myself in my writing really helps me to be at my most creative. I'd like to go to one for a week every month if I had the money! 
  9. What is your favorite fast food or snack? I have a real thing for Nairn's Cheese Oatcakes and eat them most days.
  10. Do you have a special place you go to relax? I'm lucky enough to live in a very beautiful part of the world - Exmoor National Park - and I go out walking on the moors, on the beaches, through the woods and on the coastal paths as often as I can.
  11. Do you have a favorite comic strip? Um,  no. When I was little I used to like the Love Is one though, and Snoopy.
  12. If you could travel back in time, where would you like to go? Kyoto, Japan, in the 1800s to see the Geishas and take part in a tea ceremony.





11 Random Facts About Me


  1. As much as I like elephants I wish everyone would stop giving me so many elephant-related gifts now!
  2. While my husband and I were backpacking in Fiji in 2000 there was a coup, the government was overthrown by rebels and martial law was declared.
  3. Even though I do all the things you should to prevent it I have bad circulation and always have cold hands.
  4. I love doing Bikram Yoga and really miss going to classes since moving to Devon.
  5. Cooking relaxes me.
  6. I play Scrabble on my phone too much.
  7. I'm a dreamer.
  8. I never watch the news or read the newspapers.
  9. Re-reading books I've enjoyed is one of my favourite things to do.
  10. When I discover new authors I like I always read lots of their books one after the other.
  11. I eavesdrop on conversations everywhere I go.


The blogs I nominate are:


  1. http://www.catherinenoble.com/
  2. http://lies-ink.blogspot.co.uk/
  3. http://jackiebuxton.blogspot.co.uk/
  4. http://theletternotsent.blogspot.co.uk/
  5. http://franclark.blogspot.co.uk/
Sorry, I couldn't get to 11 as I'm not that good at keeping up with lots of blogs but the first three are ones I have been reading for a long while now, and the second two I have discovered as part of the A-Z challenge this year.

My questions for the blog owners I have nominated are:

  1. What do you do to relax when you suffer from insomnia?
  2. What's the worst holiday you ever had?
  3. Where's your favourite place to write?
  4. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
  5. White, dark or milk chocolate?
  6. What's your favourite thing to have on toast?
  7. Which book do you wish you'd written and why?
  8. Film adaptations of novels - love them or hate them?
  9. Do you think Al Pacino is overrated as an actor?
  10. Coffee or tea?
  11. Would you ever do a sky dive?


Liebster Award Rules:


  • Thank the blogger who presented you with the Liebster Award, and link back to his or her blog. 
  • Answer the 11 questions from the nominator; list 11 random facts about yourself, and create 11 questions for your nominees. 
  • Present the Liebster Award to 11 bloggers, who have blogs with 200 followers or less, whom you feel deserve to be noticed. Leave a comment on the blogs letting the owners know they have been chosen. (No tag backs.)
  • Upload the Liebster Award image to your blog.



Enhanced by Zemanta

16 comments:

  1. I'm glad you took some time to focus on yourself during this crazy month :) I liked reading your questions and answers for the blogging award. It must have been super scary and exciting to be in Fiji during a coup. Do you find that flavours your writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cori, thanks for reading all about me! It actually wasn't that scary as it was all going on hundreds of miles from where we were on a tiny tropical island with no roads. It was when we went back to the mainlaind and there were soldiers everywhere and a curfew imposed that it started to seem real so we left! I hadn't really thought about it in years but am now having little bits in story ideas popping into my head :)

      Delete
  2. I'm going to check out the blogs you mentioned:) Thanks! And Me is a great M word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed finding out more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to get to know you better. Thanks for the nomination and I'll do my best getting some nominations of my own and answering those questions. Very slowly my list of to do's just gets longer and longer! eek...

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Fran said, it's nice to get to know you better. A very fun blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Amanda! Really nice to learn more about you. Walks through the moors? Wow, take me with you sometime. Laughed at your elephant collection. I ...um, have the same problem...elephants everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the award, Amanda, I'm honoured :) I'll have to have a good think about the questions... I can't decide on the chocolate one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for reading and commenting everyone.

    Sharon - nor real ones I hope!

    Fran - no rush just whenever you can!

    Catherine - I look forward to finding out more about you. You can always not choose for the chocolate like I did for dogs and cats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a dummy and didn't realize how to blog.

    Thanks for the nominations! I'll put up your replies asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! And thanks for joining in :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Amanda .. sounds as though your perspectives are right .. and now you're on Exmoor - it is just stunning .. I so often go by on my way to Penzance and the further west west country ...

    Not the best place for cold hands or poor circulation perhaps - especially after this winter .. all the best with coping with that ..

    Cheers from a still chilly Eastbourne .. wind, sun and dark clouds portending! Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to hear from you , Hilary :)

    Yes, my hand have been freezing since we moved here! The sun is shining today though and after a big walk int he sun I managed to get them warmed up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amanda,

    Sorry for the delay and many thanks for the 'award' :o) It's always nice to know there are people out there reading my blog so not all the hits are from Russian spambots!

    Incidentally, there doesn't seem to be a Follow button on your blog, or at least not one I could see. I think there's a way of doing it manually via my Blogger dashboard; I'll try that.

    ReplyDelete