Monday, 8 April 2013

G is for Gregor

Cover of "The Metamorphosis"
Cover of The Metamorphosis
In The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka Gregor turns into an insect one night while he is sleeping. Although he has the body of an insect he still has his own mind (which made me think of the game Andy and Maggie play all the time in Extras - if you had to choose between having the body of an insect and your own mind or your body and the mind of an insect, which one would it be?) and why I have chosen Gregor for my G post is that he really seemed to take it all in his stride, all things considered.

Although obviously perturbed by being an insect, his real concern seemed to be for the sensibilities of his sister and mother who had to look after him. I've been reading lots of short stories recently, in an effort to master the writing of them, and the weirdness of this one really made it stick in my mind. Rather than being completely freaked out by what had happened, everyone in the family just seemed to find it a bit embarrassing so the whole story seemed even more surreal than the subject matter made it and everything seemed a bit off kilter, while at the same time being very concerned with mundanities such as eating, cleaning and paying the rent. Brilliant! 
Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

  1. My daughter is currently rehearsing for a production of Kafka's, "The trial." My daughter is twelve. This should be interesting... Just stopping by for the A-Z Challenge. Please check us out and sign up to follow if you like what you see. Juliet atCity Muse Country Muse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog! Totally jealous how much reading you have time for!

    From A-Z,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. Always got a book on the go!

      Delete
  3. I have just rediscovered Kafka after a long hiatus from him. It's eerie how his work is even more relevant today than when he wrote it...

    Ruby is participating in the A to Z Challenge
    Ruby Wilbur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first foray into his work - I definitely want to read more.

      Delete
  4. It still brings me out in goosebumps when I think of that novel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Insects are not my thing so this sounds a bit creepy. But a very well written review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy. It really isn't creepy at all!

      Delete
  6. Sounds different, but not sure this one will make my current to read list...I'll have to think about it. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete