Saturday, 6 April 2013

F is for Flood

OK, I have cheated a bit here. My A-Z theme was supposed to be all about characters but I am so excited by the fact that the third in Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam trilogy, MaddAddam: A Novel, is coming out this summer that I have snuck this in here. 

I know it should probably have gone in under M but I just couldn't bring myself to replace the character booked in for there, so as the second in the trilogy is The Year of the Flood, here it has appeared. 

What I love about the two books so far in this trilogy, and all of the work she has written in the 'speculative fiction' genre, is that they create a future world that we could so easily end up living in and provide a scathing commentary on modern morality in today's developed societies without ever seeming preachy. But, at heart, they are about relationships, and people, and love. All of the things that I want to read and write about.

So in honour of the greatness of Margaret Atwood's writing, here's the lady herself talking about The Year of the Flood. 

13 comments:

  1. sounds interesting. I have not read Atwood--but I may consider it now!!

    Thanks for sharing :D

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://imagesbyduffee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing well with my mission to make you read all the novels I'm blogging about :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting you should write about her. My friend gave me an entire stack of Margaret Atwood books yesterday! Can't wait to get started on them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's great - one of my favourite writers. Come back and let me know what you think!

      Delete
  3. This works for F. We all do this sort of thing to make our posts fit. I wasn't about to give up my driving prank post to write about dam engineers. :)

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it works for F! Thanks for posting. New follower here.
    ~Summer
    My A-Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Summer. Thanks for following. I hope you enjoy the blog :)

      Delete
  5. Interesting. I've never read her, but who said I can't start? Than you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read one of hers, but she isn't my kind of writer as I don't really like speculative fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She also writes relationship/drama fiction - maybe they might be more up your street, Paula? I read all sorts!

      Delete
  7. :-) I'd do the same if I were you, Amanda! Why delay a good thing! :D I've seen Margaret Atwood's book - but never read them. Now I will!

    ReplyDelete