Friday, 5 April 2013

E is for Esther

Cover of "Frozen Music"
Cover of Frozen Music
Frozen Music by Marika Cobbold stars Esther, and I liked her a lot. Essentially this is a girl meets boy story, and I can never resist a good love story, but it has also got a lot more to it than that.

Esther has always been very serious with a very well-developed, some might say over-developed, sense of right and wrong and no time for the middle ground. But this is just an attempt to find order in what for her is a confusing and chaotic world filled with people whose morals and priorities she just can't understand. Working as a journalist she takes up arms in defense of an elderly brother and sister who are going to lose the only home they've ever known as it stands in the way of a new opera house development. It's this crusade that finally makes her realise that things in life are never as black and white as they seem.

What I liked so much about Esther was that she was flawed, a social misfit, intense, neurotic and, most of all, very very funny. I live in hope that I can create such rounded, sympathetic characters.
Enhanced by Zemanta

11 comments:

  1. Nice review! Sounds like an interesting book. New follower from the Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick, thanks for reading and following. Hope you enjoy the blog - not all the books I write about are so girly! ;)

      Delete
  2. I shall add this to my summer reading list! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Amanda! Nice review. I'll have to check out this book. Whenever I read a novel with such wonderful characters, I always strive to create that kind of memorable character too. Characters are my favorite part of a novel!

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds goods. I like your description of Ester. Perfect characters are boring. Flawed and neurotic are more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always a plus to read a review that peaks your interest, but doesn't give away too much. Your review does just that for me, especially the honesty about Ester. As Suzi said...perfect characters are boring.
    Sue~CollectInTexasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding this to my TBR list - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good. Will have to check Ester out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review! Sounds like a book I would enjoy reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone, hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete