Tuesday, 2 April 2013

B is for Benny

The Tax Inspector
The Tax Inspector (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
My next character is Benny in The Tax Inspector. I'm a great fan of Peter Carey's work, which is evidenced by two of his characters making my A-Z list this year. Many of his narrators are memorable but Benny sticks in my mind as even though he is obviously dangerously unhinged, I couldn't help liking him. 

At 16, he is the youngest member of the dysfunctional Catchprice family, three generations of which live and work together in the family car dealership. Driven by the teachings of the self-help CD he has invested in, Benny invests in a new suit and a new haircut as part of his efforts to turn himself into the best car salesman ever and save the business, which is on the brink of bankruptcy when the tax inspector, Maria, comes to do her audit. 

As the rest of the family tries to hide their dodgy financial dealings from the heavily pregnant Maria, Benny, who believes he is in the process of transforming into an angel, sets out to seduce her so that she will drop her investigation. Instead he falls in love with her and his love quickly turns to dangerous obsession.

Delusional, psychotic, aspirational and vulnerable, Benny is a character that stays in your mind long after the book has ended. 


Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

  1. I love the way I'm picking up names of books and characters here, Amanda. This is such a fantastic theme you've undertaken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corrine, I hope you enjoy them all!

      Delete
  2. Nice post! I am picking up so much books for my "want to read" stack. :)

    -A fellow blogger from A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like characters that get stuck in your mind after the book has ended...now you really have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds an interesting story - will add it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this sounds like my kind of story!
    Connie
    Checkin' in from the A to Z Challenge
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you all read it and enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete