Thursday, 23 August 2012

Reviews, submissions and rural dreams

I can't believe it has been a month since my last post but that's what happens when you move to the country and it takes three weeks for the broadband to be connected. I had to resort to using a dongle, which was like going back to 1999 online, so could only do the vital things like work when I could get connected. 

Image credit: Help I Need a Publisher
I managed to get everything done that I needed to for my customers but in the world of what I like to call my "proper writing", I also had the synopsis of my novel reviewed by Nicola Morgan. She wrote the best-selling How to Write a Great Synopsis so I was feeling pretty daunted by what she might have to say but, on the whole, it was a pretty painless experience and it made the world of difference to my confused and confusing synopsis. It has now been re-written again for the umpteenth time and although I know it still needs work, it really is a vast improvement.

The Festival of Writing in York is just two short weeks away now and I managed to get my submissions for the one-to-one's with an agent and book doctor in on time and featuring the shiny new synopsis. I'm really looking forward to the weekend as everyone who will be there will be into reading and writing just as much as I am and I can talk about books for 48 hours. I know...I'm obsessed. Getting more feedback on the first chapter and the planned structure of the novel will also be invaluable too, and you never know I might even win one of the competitions. I live in hope!

RACKENFORD, UNITED KINGDOM - OCTOBER 29:  Exmo...
(Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)
My latest post for the Exmoor Magazine blog has also been published telling of these first couple of weeks in the country. You can read all about it in the blog so all I'll say here is, I'm liking it and so far all my rural dreams are coming true, now I just have to find one of those wild Exmoor ponies.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are settling into your new life and home. Why is it the word 'synopsis' always fills us with such dread?!It sounds like you have had some great advice though so I'm sure yours is brillant. Good luck at the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzanne. I know, can write a whole novel but not a one-page synopsis! The advice and comments were really helpful and helped me to step back and look at it in a way I hadn't been able to before. Highly recommend that everyone struggling with theirs asks Nicola if they can be part of her synopsis spotlight as despite my trepidation, it didn't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I just read your synopsis on Help! I Need a Publisher and, I have to say, I'm hooked! That story line sounds amazing and I want to find out more about Jimmy and Laura and the lies her father told. You're a lucky lady to get all that wonderful feedback from Nicola and the commenters. I can only wish for similar feedback when I get to that stage in my writing.

    Hope you enjoy the York Festival, looking forward to reading all about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Catherine! York was great but I realised I still have a long way to go with my novel. The debates about self-publishing vs. traditional were heated and very interesting. Going to try and write a blog this week so watch this space...

    ReplyDelete