Friday, 27 April 2012

X was for Xenotransplantation

I am running out of blogging steam as we approach the end of the challenge and for today's post I was going to write a 50 word flash about Xenotransplantation, which is using animal parts in humans. But, as you probably guessed already, I didn't. 


So instead I went and found some X words that I didn't know but like, which is probably a good thing as I did a quiz to find out how large my vocabulary was yesterday and it was decidedly average. So I have now expanded it by another five great words.


Xanthippe - ill tempered woman


Xat - a carved totem pole in the Native American culture


Xeme - a fork tailed gull


Xenodocheionology - a love of hotels (my personal favourite purely for the fact that there is even a word to describe this!)


Xenogomy - cross fertilisation of plants












9 comments:

  1. Excellent X post!! Great words--I'm really adding to my vocabulary (and Scrabble options) today!

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn - I'm glad I have helped you to be a Scrabble master. Make sure you get these X words on a triple square!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Amanda! Great X words! I've seen a couple of these words around the blogosphere today. :)

    Have a lovely weekend and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura, they are great X words aren't they. There were so many to choose from it was hard to limit myself to 5! Thanks for stopping by and happy weekend to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit behind in the Challenge so I'm only on "V". I enjoyed your "X"scape into words that begin with "X". Found your blog during the A to Z Challenge. I've enjoyed it! If you get a minute, visit mine at www.dianeweidenbenner.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diane, thanks for stopping by and glad you liked the X words :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda .. what good words though .. five of them .. amazing how things become named ..

    Cheers - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I better get back to Words with Friends and win a game! Fun blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amanda .. love these words - Xeme for a fork-tailed gull and then Xat for a carved totem pole ... and Xanthippe .. surprised Shakespeare didn't use this one!

    Cheers - excellent X words .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete