Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Somebody's watching you

O is for observation, a skill that writers are supposed to have in abundance but I don't know that I do. I do like to watch people but what I like to do even more is listen to them. There's only a limited amount you can learn by watching, it goes much further when you shamelessly eavesdrop on all around you wherever you are.

A gem of an example is someone from overseas asking a man on the tube if he knew where Elton John lived as he'd like to see him while he's in the UK! Today's post is short and sweet as I am at a writing retreat this week finishing off the novel so for once am getting on and doing that. Tomorrow will be a guest post and I'll be back on Wednesday, by which time, fingers crossed, I should have at least three more chapters in first draft.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, observations is so important for a writer. :) I'm here from A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here from the A to Z too. Good for you for taking some retreat time to write. I go to one retreat in the fall and usually churn out around 13,000 words. I also had great luck with NaNoWriMo this year, so I plan to do that again too.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda .. good heavens above - if they asked me that .. I'd ask them where Father Christmas is!! Observation - crumbs observe before you ask ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patricia, thanks for stopping by. Yes, I'm thinking about doing NaNoWriMo this year. It's supposed to be really hard work though. I better book another retreat now!

    ReplyDelete