Friday, 6 April 2012

Flash - a-ah - saviour of the universe

I have been turning my hand to writing some flash fictions recently and sending them out into the world of competitions. I entered two, Progress and Playing Nurses, into the 2012 Fish Publishing Flash Fiction competition and couldn't quite believe it when they both made the long list. The short list should be announced by the end of this month and I'm really hoping that one of them might make it to the next round. But even if it doesn't I am really pleased that my first competition entries got this far.

Although they are so short, flashes are hard to write. Every word matters as you have to create a fully-rounded story in such a limited word count. They are perfect material for blogs and I've noticed that e-publishers are calling for them more and more as they are also good for downloading and reading on commutes to work. But more importantly I have discovered that I really enjoy writing them. So expect to see more of them on here once the A-Z challenge is over.

9 comments:

  1. Good luck for the flash fiction competitions! I really enjoy writing them too, but I do find it hard to condense my words! Looking forward to seeing your future pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what exactly is the def inition of flash fiction? maybe that's what I'm doing in this challenge...look forward to reading some of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flash fiction _ I'm going to look into that. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to write flash fiction. Sometimes I get just a nibble of an idea, not enough to flesh out into a whole short story or novel. Just a snapshot. It's a lot of fun!

    ~Lynn
    http://www.acommonsea.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to you. FF is hard for me to write but I do enjoy reading it.
    dreamweaver

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on making the long list. Now, it means that you at least have a good chance at making the short list :)

    Flash fiction hasn't been my forte as far as writing it goes but I sure do like to read good flash fiction material that other people write, when I come across some!

    In fact, I read some really cool ones within the last week or so.

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never before heard of flash fiction, but think I read a FF story on the blog I just visited before yours.
    Congratulations on being long listed and best of luck in the competition.

    Monica, Older Mommy Still Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your comments everyone, I am keeping everything crossed for the shortlist!

    Monica and Sandra - Flash Fictions are short stories, usually from 50 to 500 words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck to you Amanda!

    ReplyDelete