Saturday, 14 April 2012

Did you really say that?

Having got very engrossed in literary terms for yesterday's post, I wanted to include another one today. And the term of the day is:

Malapropism: an act or habit of misusing words ridiculously, especially by confusing words that are similar in sound.

Now what I really like about this is it that when I read it, it brought back a memory of something my nan said to me when I was a little girl when she indulged in a malapropism without even realising it, and I was too young to recognise it so went off to the shop to get baking ingredients none the wiser.

Once there I searched the shop high and low for decimated coconut and had no idea why the woman in the shop laughed so heartily at me when I asked for it. Thanks Nan for your unintended malapropism, it lives on.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to find your blog. I like it! I subscribed to it and mentioned it on my blog today and invited you for a Lucky 7 Meme, which you can ignore if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. Holly - I will check out your blog as I don't know what a Lucky 7 Meme is!

    ReplyDelete