Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Cake, glorious cake

Well, in the world where I had prepared for the A-Z blog challenge, today's cake blog was going to be an inspired and well thought out look at baking in different novels. However, I have been very slack in the preparation stakes and despite getting loads of recommendations from my Twitter friends about what books feature cake making, many of which I downloaded to my Kindle, I have had my nose stuck in just one of the recommended tomes: Joanne Harris's Chocolat.
Firstly, I just need to say that I cannot believe it has taken me so long to read this book as it is excellent. The narrator doesn't just bake cakes she creates glorious confectionary worlds in the window of her Chocolaterie and I for one would love to be transported there. On Monday night I fell asleep to the preparations for a chocolatey Easter extravaganza, and seeing as it's Easter this weekend I considered trying to create something yesterday to post up here. However, work and a yoga class got in the way, so instead here's a picture of a Christmas cake I baked a couple of years ago! My most successful venture into cake making yet, although the Date & Walnut one I whipped up last Christmas came a pretty close second.

And seeing as I didn't get round to dicussing the baking in books that were kindly recommended to me, I'll just tell you what they were and you can have a read and let me know what you think about the baking in them. In no particular order, some books with cake making in them are:

  1. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, Aimee Bender
  2. Like Water for Chocolate, Laura Esquivel, Carol Christensen, Thomas Christensen
  3. Thin Air, Sue Gee
  4. Baking Cakes in Kigali, Gaile Parkin
  5. The Help, Kathryn Stockett
I bought three books about cake making, Chocolat and numbers one and two above. So don't be surprised if something I bake does end up on here before the end of the challenge. I just need to figure out what letter I can sneak it in under now.

18 comments:

  1. All I can say is "YUMMY for the tummy"!
    How about D for Delicious? or E for Elegant? or F for Fabulous? or G for Great?
    Cake is good anytime you can get it.
    Thanks for the mouthwatering descriptions and picture. I haven't had breakfast yet. (not even 6 a.m. yet. ha)
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruby. Hope you had cake for breakfast!

      Delete
  2. This looks great! By the way, I'm a new follower :)

    My blog is http://www.lifeisgood-forever21.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alyssa, thanks for following my blog. I had a look at yours and that's a very impressive camel!

      Delete
    2. ^^ if anything stirs the curiosity, that statement does! Haha :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Ruby. Cake would be good under any letter.
    What kind of cake did you make in the picture?
    HMG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Heather, yes cake is good at anytime! The one in the photo is a traditional Christmas cake but I don't like icing so put almonds on top instead. I made it 3 months before Christmas and kept feeding it brandy. It was delicious, even if I do say so myself!

      Delete
  4. Lots of letters come to mind. D for dessert, S for snack, T for Tasty.

    Uh oh. I see your Word Verification (WV) is still on. I'm on a mission to rid the world of this unnecessary evil frustration! Please stop by my blog and select the How To Turn Off Your Word Verification tab and help make the world a better place one blog at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen, I had no idea I had word verification on. I do believe I have turned it off now. I think I might just bake a cake then post up an extra blog all of its own :)

      Delete
  5. Cake is good. You make me want to make one. I'm hoping to visit all the blogs on the A-Z Challenge in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cake is indeed very good. Hope you baked one and good luck visiting all the blogs, I don't think I'll manage that!

      Delete
  6. Ah cake. So sweet, yet so evil.

    now following your blog,
    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mooderine - great name! Thanks for following I will check out your blog too.

      Delete
  7. excellent books focusing on cake! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie. Finished Chocolat last night and think I will take a break and come back to more cakey ones later :)

      Delete
  8. Your Christmas cake looks phenomenal, well done!

    I do, however, now require a huge slab of chocolate fudge cake... mmmmmmh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Books about cake making, hmmm, never would have thought. Interesting post. Stopping by from A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Visiting from the A to Z Challenge. IMO, no cake can surpass Minnie's in The Help.

    ReplyDelete