Wednesday, 28 March 2012

You're the second person today to...

I've always loved books and food. So imagine my excitement yesterday when I discovered the world's first edible cookbook, which turns into Lasagne, something I enjoy eating very much. Food in literature, something we have been looking at in my writing classes, never got more literal.

For last week's class we had to read Moshin Hamid's The Reluctant Fundamentalist, a book that takes place almost entirely at one cafe table over the course of a couple of meals but spans years of the narrator's history and visits three continents. It's written in the second person, which is not a point of view I've read much and it did give me a sense of being very distant from the story. But writing it was really fun. Everyone in the workshop found it was easier to give a character really annoying, and sometimes outright rude, ways when that distance had been created, as if we were no longer responsible for this person's actions.

I can see the characters and the setting that appeared in my writing as part of these exercises definitely going somewhere, but its whether I can keep up the second person thing without ending up disliking my narrator or turning her into a parody. I'm going to post up some of it as part of the April challenge (Y for You), by which time I should either of got into the swing of things or will have canned it and rewritten it in first person, and proably the third. You've got to try these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment