Friday, 9 December 2011

Will it really work?

Well, here I am. I've been told by so many people that to stand any chance of getting an audience and getting published I have to be a social media butterfly. So, I have got myself a Twitter account, reactivated my hideously annoying Facebook page, and created myself a blog.

I'll be sharing updates on my novel's progress, maybe posting up some short stories and generally trying to endear myself to the world so that they care about my writing and want to read it.

So here goes: I'm writing a story about a woman, Kate, whose husband goes to the shop one night and never returns. About how her life is suddenly very different to what she had thought it was going to be. How she deals with that, or doesn't. I'm currently about 20,000 words in first draft (not all concurrent chapters) and so far she has drunk quite a lot and alienated her family. Things are going well for her!

I am a complete procrastinator though and always, well almost always, find something else to do other than write, so it's slow going. Thanks to my discovery of the Urban Writer's Retreat though I am seeing some progress. Locked in a room with no internet and phone, but lots of delicious cake, works wonders and last time I got 5,500 words written in a day. Thanks Charlie!

No comments:

Post a Comment